Designer Tip: Lighting Upgrades

Tuesday, May 3, 2016



One of my most oft used designer upgrades is to fix a room's lighting. So many rental spaces have harsh, florescent overhead lighting but with the right tweaks I feel that lovely lighting can really set the ambiance for the whole space. I always change out overhead fixtures if possible, and am sure to add lots of layers of softer lighting with floor and table lamps. I also find warm hued, frosted bulbs cast a much more inviting light than their cool, clear counterparts. Here are my top 3 tips for beautiful, welcoming lighting:


- Add a soft light source to 3 corners of a room if possible (in design school they suggest 8 light sources per room but I find that 4-6 is often plenty!)

- Incorporate lighting of various heights - a mix of table lamps, taller standing lamps and hanging fixtures create a layered feel.

- Try a pair - a pair of matched lamps flanking a piece of furniture or set on a large sideboard adds a great symmetry.







{images via}


sb signature

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan