Designer Tips: Grown Up Dots

Thursday, March 5, 2015


Lately dots have been making a major comeback! I love their playful spirit and they are perfect for layering with other patterns, and look especially lovely paired with florals, stripes or angular geometrics. But we have all seen dots look a bit juvenile, fussy or dated . . . here a few designer tips for how to give dots a grown up boost!  

{1} Go neutral - a subdued, sophisticated color palette helps keep dots looking modern. Grays, tans, browns, creams, indigos, and blacks all work - but be sure avoid pale pink!

{2} Play with Scale & Shape - oversized dots (like below) or free form or imperfect dots bring a fresh look.

{3} Mix up Your Patterns - we know dots look great with other patterns so be sure to incorporate a mix to create an updated feel!











sb signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love dots; I’ve brought them into my all white bedroom to add a bit of fun. Inspired by a Lichtenstein painting which I painted onto a wall. But I’ve been afraid to bring them into the rest of the house because they don’t seem sophisticated enough. Well you’ve certainly changed my mind.
I love to nursery wallpaper. Beautiful.

pengobatan katarak said...

It’s really great to see that you can achieve so much (because your photos are consistently good) in a relatively straightforward way. Great links, too

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan